View Single Post
Old 2011-10-10, 11:04   Link #31
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I disagree about i5-i7 being for hardcore gamers. Casual user can get use out of them too, if you appreciate speed. Though given the budget, I don't think he can go for those. To be honest, though I personally hate AMD, with his budget he would be better off going for AMD way. Perhaps buy Phenom X6 for example, those are quite cheap currently.
What would be the benefit?

For the OP
-Web browsing - None. The average low end desktop CPU is far more than fast enough.
-Writing - None. Like web browsing. Word isn't a heavy application
-Playing video - Little right now. Arguably more future proofing, but video is generally well multithreaded which means that the Ph2X6 would be better than most of the i5's.
-Converting video - Faster. Depending on how time sensitive (encode and load onto iPod right before leaving for work vs encode only a few episodes over night) it might be worth it. Though, Ph2X6 is generally better bang for the buck at the lower end of i5/i7 due to multithreading.

Examples of where the i5/i7's really shine
-Heavy Excel spreadsheets. Like the really huge ones. If you don't think Excel can be that resource intensive, you haven't seen one of these bad boys yet.
-Compiling. Then again, the more time spent compiling is the more time spent larping.
-Very high end gaming. The CPU really just needs to keep up with the GPU for gaming, but when you have a quad xfire setup, a high end CPU is required to not be a bottleneck.
-Benchmarking. MOAR NUMBERZ!!! Yeah.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote