View Single Post
Old 2007-10-09, 16:35   Link #76
NoWai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I don't understand this part. Why would you sharpen _after_ downsizing? I'd always do that _before_, to avoid or at least lessen the problem of the sharpening haloes.
I didn't express myself quite right there. I have an upscaled but possibly warpsharped source. The original was mastered in either HD or SD, i cannot tell as the anime uses very clear lines and simple backgrounds. I believe this source was SD originally before upscaling, however either the station or capper thinned the lines somehow. So i have to downscale this source, however by downscaling it, then msharpening (maybe i did some AA too, i can't exactly remember, i should go look up my scripts), i end up with it looking more blurry/worse than the original upscale.

Quote:
I don't quite understand this part either. Ways of downscaling are clear - the different resize filters (lanczos3/4, bicubic, less recommended bilinear). And for the "when/how do we know", I can really only offer the "use your eyes and use what you like better" advice. A rule of thumb seems impossible for me to formulate, since you never really know what happened to a source you're in front of in the past. Then again, it really doesn't matter at all, does it? Pick the version you like best.

I'm afraid I offered very little useful advice, but - that's the best I can come up with right now.
Most people seem to recommend Spline36 or Bilinear for downscaling compared to lancos3/4, and i'm under the impression that lanczos3/4 makes for more blurry images when downscaled, while bilinear makes edges more jaggy.

Quote:
I'm afraid I offered very little useful advice, but - that's the best I can come up with right now.
Actually, your previous post clarified quite a few issues for me, thanks.
NoWai is offline   Reply With Quote