Thread: Licensed Btooom!
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-13, 07:20   Link #440
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Yeah to me that sounds like male dominance and women not standing up for myself.
That last bit sounds like victim-blaming, really. If the girls in that story (or girls in reality) in Japan were to say "I'm standing up for myself! I'm not leaving my home area!" do you think that would mean they would be able to escape the consequences of being known to be a rape victim? The reality for them is that being raped caused their reputations immense damage. Social stigma isn't something people can avoid just because they want to, unfortunately.

That said, of course you're correct that it was unfair of those girls to put down Himiko's name. That's not in doubt. I think what you don't understand is that it's actually quite common for people to blame people for things which weren't their fault - or for which they weren't the ones most at fault. People can get pretty weird, you know?

For an example of how weird people can get, I'll give the example of two people I know in real life. I'll call them A and B. A, entirely through her own stupidity and carelessness, nearly got her entire family killed. The only reason they weren't killed is that person B saved them all. But in the process, person B was seriously and dramatically injured. Were A and her family grateful? Did they say thank you, or send flowers? No. While B was (more or less literally) bandaged head to foot and immobile for many weeks on end, A and her family started to do things like dump trash on B's lawn. A started to hate B and think that B deserved to be hurt rather than have to accept that she was to blame for B's horrific injuries. It's a known psychological thing that happens sometimes.

It's not the same situation as the Btooom! girls, but sometimes when bad things happen, blame isn't assigned rationally. In the case of Himiko's friend, maybe Himiko was the most convenient person to blame. She was the only one to escape, and was the one who arranged for them all to meet those guys, so it looks like her friends were overcome with jealousy and bitterness. Which doesn't make it right or fair for them to want her to disappear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't think that the hatred was misdirected.
Why on Earth would Himiko be more deserving of hatred than the rapists?
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote