View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 10:55   Link #144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Yeah, it's so hard to sell a story without alienating the viewers. Give the MC NO personality and the viewers will start to hate him. Give the MC personality and it becomes easier or harder to relate to him depending on the viewer.

Okay, I keep on hearing this, and I may I have pointed it out before but could have missed it, but what exactly makes harem MC's interesting? Is it the "special" thing I have mentioned above?
What I personally like to see in the harem MC is there be something about him that believably draws the female characters to him. He can be completely normal aside from that one characteristic.

Hypothetical example - The harem MC is a young, talented mangaka. One of the girls who likes him is a big manga fan. Another likes artwork in general. A third girl is a big fan of an anime that is based on one of the harem MC's manga works. There you go - Instantly, you have a very believable reason for all these girls liking the harem MC, who may be completely normal aside from his mangaka talent.