Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 17:45   Link #803
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The way I see it, Gon outsmarted Hanzo. He figured out that by the rules of the game, as long as he didn't surrender he would eventually win. Hanzo couldn't figure out a way to make him surrender, so he cut his losses and surrendered himself. Gon played the game better than Hanzo - tough break.
As pointed out, it's a victory that depended a lot on Hanzo being "nice". He could have gone farther, but chose not to. (In part because there's always the next fight.)

Even if Gon didn't surrender, Leorio or Kurapika would have intervened, and Hanzo would have won.

Quote:
I don't think it is that simple, and I don't think you're giving him enough credit. I do believe his desire to have a "fair fight" with Hanzo was genuine (though that wouldn't really have been fair to Hanzo) but he also knew at the most basic level he didn't have to physically defeat Hanzo - he just had to make him surrender.
Well, yeah, Gon did understand that it was about will, not strength. (IIRC, in the manga,
Spoiler for manga:
)

But so did Hanzo. It's hard to say he was truly outsmarted. It's not like Hanzo has to beat Gon.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote