View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 08:20   Link #899
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Or take Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou , it's a very popular light novel , here are the sales of the 3 light novels:
vol1: 1,080,967
vol2: 757,933
vol3: 635,839

That's more than any Sword Art Online volume and yet it got a live action adaptation (airing right now on primetime on Fuji TV) but no anime adaptation yet.
The cynical side of me believes that's because the female lead is a woman instead of a cute highschool girl and that going by the various illustrations there's nothing close to fanservice so producers think the anime wouldn't sell and therefore went live action instead,I'd love to be proven wrong.
Live Action adaptations and generally reserved for more popular properties... I mean stuff like Death Note, NANA, Honey and Clover, Moshidora and Nodame Cantabile received live action versions. Shingeki no Kyojin which is getting an anime in Spring 2013 already has a live action movie in production for release in Fall 2013. If anything the anime is to help promote that since the movie was announced in 2011.

Also Biblia is a closed room mystery, not exactly something that sells well in anime, but the fanbase not being typical anime fans as well as being so large made it an easy choose for a live action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Honestly, if a show is popular enough to warrant a live-action adaptation (and the content suits that sort of material), I honestly don't see why they'd choose anime as a medium. Live Action is still much more accessible to a mainstream audience than anime will ever be. That isn't because of the "content of your average anime", but simply because people are more used to relating to stories with real actors. Even some anime directors would argue that you should use anime to do things that can't be done in real life. The goal of the entertainment industry, after all, is to pick the medium that best supports the style and goals of the project (and will most effectively reach the target audience).
That's pretty much the approach "Kodansha's" Weekly Shounen Magazine (the #2 manga magazine behind Jump) has been taking lately. Shows that are more suited for an anime have been getting them like Seitokai Yakuindomo and CØDE:BREAKER. Whereas others have been getting jdramas like Yankee-kun and I think one of their baseball mangas. The average reader for Magazine is also at a much higher age then Jumps even though they're both in the Shounen demographic.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote