View Single Post
Old 2010-11-08, 01:55   Link #3017
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
It just strikes me as odd because one isn't directly related to the other. They are only connected by the writer. One is current and ongoing and is a manga. The other is a finished light novel work from earlier in the decade. Also another of his works got an anime before Zaregoto did.
It has no connection really, for all we know Pierrot will do a Medaka adaption after Beelzebub is finished, WHITE FOX will get to work on Zaregoto after they finish with KATANAGATARI and of course SHAFT are already doing Kizu...

Quote:
Taking your word on the notability of Zaregoto, why were Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari both given anime even though they were written and published after Zaregoto? Zaregoto predates them and its his most notable series supposedly.
In some ways it makes no sense, Zaregoto is his most famous work, his best selling work and also appeals to people outside of the typical light novel demographic. I think there was a poll in the magazine Nisio releases a lot of stuff of and his Zaregoto characters curb stomped Bakemonogatari's in that poll.

OTOH maybe Nisio won't allow an anime unless all of it is guarantee to be animated (I'm kinda hoping the Umineko creator had that clause...) and at 9 volumes filled mostly with dialogue (riveting though it is) it may be a hard sell to otaku to be profitable. Andrew Cunningham of Eastern Standard Blog which reviews a lot of light novels and stuff thinks it's impossible to animate Zaregoto for some reason... I'll try and find that post when I asked him...

Also Bakemonogatari definitely had Otaku appeal, it's kinda like Narita's Baccano! and Durrara!!, the former is considering the better light novel series but the later has otaku and fangirl appeal and has fared far better in anime. So while Baccano will probably never get another animated project DRR is going to have quite a few sequels...

No idea why Katanagatari got one before Zaregoto though.. seems to be Nisio's worst received series...

Quote:
That just tells me a lot of it just comes down to whatever anime studio feels like picking up. Its not like Medaka being animated before it should be some kind of slight against it. Two more of Nishio's works already were done as well.
Well if anything the success of Bakemonogatari is going to help Zaregoto become an anime, it seems only a matter of time...

Quote:
I mentioned Westlo because I know he follows all of Nishio's works and would be more knowledgeable than me on what is the most popular among them. I already mentioned I haven't read or watched any of his other series before reading Medaka Box earlier in this thread.[/spoiler]

stuopidget is by far a bigger Nisio fan than I am, though it helps he can read Chinese translations of most of his novels unlike myself.. I'm really, really ahnging for a well done Zaregoto animated series since it seems the novels won't get translated past volume 2.. which is a damn shame.

Also stuopidget is pretty up to date with new anime productions.

Much appreciated and I imagine Cross will catch up in the next week or two.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote