View Single Post
Old 2013-10-13, 18:16   Link #509
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think it goes without saying that Rin's character is a little bit different from her VN counterpart. If our interpretation is that VN Rin wouldn't do so such and such necessarily, then sure you might be right. But this isn't VN Rin. JC Staff have gone to great lengths to make Rin a more well rounded character with much more development than in the VN (Something I think that does not get appreciated enough in the anime, despite some of its faults). In the context of the anime, Rin's character development seems more natural and her random confession won't be so cringe worthy IMO.

Also, I am not sure why we are so concerned about Rin's breakdown in Rin 2. I think the notion of power levels is a bit misguided since anime Rin is still very shy, despite everything. Moreover, once she's removed from the little busters, she will still encounter this situation where she doesn't have the original little busters to help her get more friends. I don't think anything the anime has done will change that.

As an aside, I remember one of the most pathetic things to me about Rin was the farewell scene in Refrain. She's practically sitting there like a retard, not even realizing what's going on. She wasn't involved in that whatsoever. That was awkward and really stupid in hindsight.