View Single Post
Old 2012-11-17, 12:54   Link #65
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
That was my take on it as well. But I also think Shun was getting fed up. Not quite of "being a toy" as he put it (or as Kanon seems to think), but of constant and deep admiration from Satoru when he wasn't particularly happy with himself (what with being heralded as the next head for a fucked up society by most of his generation while at the same time having the deductive reasoning to deduce very well that he is under constant surveillance and that most of his society is all sorts of messed up). It is really really tough to have to listen to people telling you how good they are all the time and if the one person who's closest to you doesn't realize how much of a mess you're, it gets even more aggravating. I felt very melancholic when I heard him reply "no you don't understand" and I agree that Satoru is too naive to get what is happening with Shun. So is Saki for that matter. I can sympathize with Shun very well. It really is the worst thing in the world to have people who are "close" to you have an entirely different version of you than what you know yourself to be. And it gets seriously annoying if they try and keep clinging onto you with those naive notions.

He definitely likes Satoru though. Just that he doesn't want the gang in danger for one and for another, he is too much of a mess to enjoy extreme admiration and a close relationship where his partner is constantly trying too hard to please him and/or emulate him.
Nicely put there. I agree and it definitely adds more sorrow to Shun's predicament.

It's a bit of a shame that the novel had to go with a timeskip. It'd have been great to see the gradual change that lead to their current relationships as well as Shun's decaying state of mind, even for just an episode.