View Single Post
Old 2013-03-09, 07:51   Link #1467
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
In all seriousness, they're just self-promoting themselves off of something they have no legal rights to do. Gifkastel (who I never heard of before today) wrote it better than I ever could. It'd be one thing if Crunchyroll was tapping into the Japanese fanbase to help push for a show from the ground up or had connections past the TV Tokyo portion of their company, but that's not it. This is a pure marketing scheme designed for US fans (as seen by the change.org petition) that they have no legal right to do. They're using an illegal upload of the CM in the first place to promote it.

The petition isn't going to do anything at all. "Oh hey, you got xxxxx signatures, how many of them are going to pay for something we make?" is the important question. As much as we say KyoAni animates things they want to do (and even then we point out the issues of production committees and producers agreeing on themes/material), they're a business first and foremost. Why would they animate anything for a market which hasn't given the JP market enough funding to make anything in the past 3 years? Ask yourself how many people who signed the petition are willing to pay $70 each for 6-7 volumes, because that's a huge part of how committees make back their funding. NA anime fans have 1. dropped in number, and 2. cried out when something costs more than $50 for 11-13 episodes. I don't think this is going anywhere besides publicity for CR and CR mainly.

The cherry on top: the shows that can be termed original lately (Chuunibyou/Tamako Market) were made with TBS holding international rights, which went to Sentai/The Anime Network with no streams on Crunchy. If the anime gets made, they won't be able to steam it at all.
This. This, this, this so much. I did kind of expect a(n ultimately useless but amusing) fan petition to pop-up somewhere but to think it was from CR of all people. The cosplay thing was lulz worthy but this just made me frown . It almost makes me wish an anime of it doesn't ever happen but I personally want my swimming bishie sakuga fest too so I haven't actually gotten to that point.