View Single Post
Old 2011-09-07, 15:01   Link #123
User165949
Disabled By Request

does anyone have the new OP lyrics at hand?

summary of one thing that bugs me in the consistency in the story as we know it for now:

1. Okabe of the Future Time fools (one time is enough) Okabe of the Present Time to justify OFT existence without causing a worldline switch, thus the time machine (and S;G worldline theory) existence
2. OPrT fools Okabe Of the Past Time without causing a worldine switch, to preserve him texting the to-be-detected-by-SERN message, justifying the esistence in OPrT awareness of the SERN worldlines (and therefore, the attempt to save Kurisu, the guilt, and ultimately the existence of OFT (again).

rules 1 and 2 seem to be compatible, till now. OPrT derives from OPastT, OFT derives from the current OPrT .

Now. if OPrT actually saves Kurisu without Okabe of Past TIme being aware, and travels back to a "safe" point in the future, we have two Okabes - and two incompatible futures, if we believe that given a past and a fixed Okarin awareness, the resulting future is exactly one, if no worldline awareness shift happens.

Otherwise said: OPaT begets the NowObsolete Okabe of the Present Time that should have beget Okabe of the WW3 Future. This was consistent IFF OKabe of the WW3 Future doesn't try to push OPrT to secretly save Kurisu. If OPrT after saving Kurisu is aware to have succeeded. then OPrT CANNOT produce Okabe of the WW3 Future anymore, therefore saving Kurisu is not possible anymore. thus we have an inconsistency.

I think that this thing doesn't make sense without any of the following happens (or similarly conceived ideas):

"brain turned off" class:
i. "magic" finale: the two futures collapse in one where everyone's happy, nobody knows why.
ii. "deus ex machina" finale: same as above but justified by love/ pagan deity/attractor field unexplained effect

"brain half-turned on" class:

iii. Okabe after saving Kurisu believes to have failed, again, for N years; thus Okabe creates the time machine and loops back again and again and again and again to save her. this void the current awareness we are having about the eventsi, but indeed create a stable loop. maybe we are already seeing it and future Okabe is lying (no WW3 and stuff really happened).

iv. same as above, but he's aware of the success. together the two have a kid or two and a time machine, too. Kurisu is behind the camera in the white-noise video from the future (and she's smiling at the congroo thing).

v. initially unaware, then aware and continues as in iv.

"it shouldn't work" class, but actually may:
vi. Present or Past Okabe die shortly. If this happen, the event chain is broken and thus you saw a non-existing tale. Oops, it was an anime, anyway. But through fantasy, this could work in the sense of generating a timeline where Okabe sacrificed himself but Kurisu lives.

I just can't wrap around the "two Okabes, two Futures, but no worldline shift" idea. Something, some sudden plot turn, seems missing.

If one has to interpret the old OP lyrics, one would think about iii. or vi.

Me, I hope in v., for the best dramatic effect.