Thread: Router choices
View Single Post
Old 2008-04-19, 13:19   Link #45
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Okay, so they asked me to set up the Debian machine first. I configured all of those machine's eth0 addresses using ifconfig and the same instructions that you gave, but I can't seem to find a way to configure the DNS servers (I've googled around but can't find anything not written in a heavy networking-speak)... and I can't ping the machine. I'm a bit lost here, and this is pretty new to me. I'd install network-manager in the Debian box, but it would mean either hunting manually for all the dependencies, or unplugging the thing and plugging it near my broadband modem.

Note: There is no router in the middle of any of the connections, only the network switch.

EDIT: Whoa, I found a problem with network-admin in the Ubuntu box: it doesn't let me choose a broadcast address, I just did it on a whim and didn't really pay attention to what the boxes said (the third one was Default Gateway). I'll try with ifconfig manually and then post the results.

EDIT 2: YAY! IT WORKS! Now I only need to know how to change the Debian's box DNS server settings... should I manually edit the /etc/resolv.conf file? (<-- nevermind that... since I had already plugged it to the modem when I was installing and configuring the box, resolv.conf says the same as the Ubuntu box... does it mean it's already configured?).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-04-19 at 13:33.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote