Thread: Diablo III
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-22, 20:45   Link #815
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I mean mods like you find on ModDB or The Nexus. Look, devs never get everything right, there's always bugs left over. Leaving the hood unlocked to let the players tinker means a lot of things get fixed, smoothed out--plus you get gameplay/content/TC mods, and yes, they still exist. Just hit up ModDB if you don't believe me.

"Cut content" mods are a good example. Lots of games get rushed out the door by the publisher to meet some important sales period, leaving a lot of half-finished, unimplemented content sitting in the game's data files. Modders can resurrect that content and make the game significantly better--case in point, The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod and killap's Fallout 2 Cut Content Patch.

Then you have full-blown expansions or TCs--notable examples being The Dark Mod (TC for Doom 3), The Nameless Mod and Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age. One of my personal favorites, a HL1 mod, Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut... there are loads of mods, and not just the silly WoW-style UI mods, either.
All of the examples you present are running on really old engines or are based on old games, the most recent being from 2004 (!) , which was actually my point to begin with that mods are becoming less and less important and more rare on top of that.

I don't know if its the devs not providing the code or even releasing an SDK or if it's the the industry as a whole that is flooding the market with more games than in the past so players don't have "the time" to develop an interest in modded games or even the arrival of the booming f2p games but I see the modding scene that builds on commercial games declining more and more.

You say D3 individually fails for making a step backwards by making the game unmoddable, I say the industry as a whole has made this step long time ago.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote