View Single Post
Old 2009-08-01, 16:06   Link #50
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Now, on an entirely personal note (I really want to stress that, because it's virtually impossible to make personal statements anymore with this label under my nickname)... I just want to say that I have my doubts about how many people have actually really purchased/imported the game for real so would truly be inconvenienced by this. (I know you did, Vexx, and there are a few others that I know for sure did.) I only say this because I used to believe, for whatever reason, that purchasing games was more common than it actually is. If people really have paid for the game already, then I can at least understand why they wouldn't want to pay for the game again. But I'm completely convinced that most of the people clamouring for this patch are just people who pirated the game anyway. It makes me uncomfortable seeing people using the promised fan translations as a way of weaseling out of paying for the licensed game (and coming up with every other excuse in the book to go with it), since that will hurt the already-extremely small sales they do have and lower their available budget for future works (which may not have fan translations). Plus, it also hurts the ethical argument that I'd like to try to make that there's a place for patches after a game is licensed if people actually purchase the game. I'm just pretty disappointed in seeing so many people who are supposedly big eroge fans just going from one pirated work to the next without ever investing anything in the hobby. They even have the gall to brag about all the games they've played on forums and on their blogs, but they haven't once given anything back, and they still won't do it even when the opportunity presents itself. I find it somewhat shameful, to be honest... Anyway, </rant>
I'm one of the ones who buys his games. I have almost two dozen games I've bought through jlist, as well as a few untranslated games I've bought from Japan. I shudder to think of how much I have spent on this stuff over the past few years.