View Single Post
Old 2008-05-03, 15:14   Link #24054
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Hmmm...let's see...it takes him a while to fall asleep when he goes to bed, and when he does go to sleep, he's partially conscious of his surroundings (fighter's instinct?)
But, if he's exhausted from a day of training, he'll just sleep like a log until the next day

Also, as portrayed in a previous chapter, he has trouble sleeping with someone in the same room...until he gets used to that person.
Hmm, not what I'd hoped for, but workable. I'll just have to write a training routine beforehand.

Actually... concidering they'd be slaved in Academy, this will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Keroko: I actually wilfully ignored all the flaws at first. Then I came to Nanoha OC and had to sigh and take note.
Feh, I still willfully ignore them. Heck, I still hardly notice them. If I want to know why the spread of forces in the last few episodes was so wrong, I'll have to dig through the millitairy thread, and I still don't understand what Hayate did wrong during the attack on the HQ.

Quote:
On Belkans and speed, if they're moving so fast they can take Mid mages off-guard, then normal people don't really have much of a chance. It's like, they're moving faster than you can realise or react to.
Plus, Belkans specialize in physical enhancement magic, which means that on average a Belkan mage is faster then a Mid mage.

Quote:
Also I just realised something: even if the mages or knights are still subsonic, or high subsonic, they could theoretically still dodge bullets. How?

Flashmove Sidestep. Or ducking behind cover - people have dodged enemy fire before - though admittedly more through luck...
Screw the Flash Move, any far-off shot in the series has shown us on multiple occasions that even 'normal' speed in a mage battle is freakishly fast, so even hitting them is not going to be simple. Flash moves are just icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
No it's not. The point keeps getting raised and forgotten. Mid and Belka styles were competitors, with each being used by nearly half of all mages once. Not that Belka was a Mid-derivative. That was a mistranslation.
Blergh, forgot that. So what is the real translation of that scene then?

Quote:
The problem is getting close while tanking all the damage the ranged fighter is throwing at you without being able to hit back until you're within arms' reach of him. Even worse, while you're closing, he can choose to continue shooting or move back to keep the range open. And in the air, keeping out of the melee fighter's reach is even easier. There may be no cover in the skies, but there are no obstacles either.
Speaking in MMO terms to give an example, the worst fear of a mage is a Warrior's 'charge' abillity, which basically is a move that allows the warrior to nearly instantly close in on a mage. Belkan mages specialize in physical enhancement magic, so they would be able to outrun the average Mid mage. If a Mid mage chooses to run, then a Mid mage already puts himself in a dangerous spots, as most of his moves require him to stand still and shoot. If the Belkan mage then throws in speed boosting spells, the the situation really starts to turn against the Mid mage.

Of course, this is but one example, and obviously in favor of the Belkan mage. But it shows that the Mid style is not inherently superior just because it uses range, and it shows that range in a magic battle is only one advantage, and one that is counterable as well.

Quote:
Heck, in A's ep5, the Bureau's deployment was less than optimal. The best way to neutralize the Wolkies is to gang up on them. There's no way any of them can cope with two ranged fighters pouring the hurt on them while evading their attempts to close for the kill. Nanoha and Yuuno on Vita, Fate and Arf on Signum, half the extra mages to keep Zafira at bay, the other half to help Chrono find the remaining knight, Shamal.
*scratches head* o-kay, and what are you trying to tell me with this? I mean, if two Belkan mages gang up on one Mid mage, then the Mid mage is screwed as well.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-05-03 at 15:44.