Thread: Apple IPad
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-11, 14:09   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have always recommended businesses stay away from Dell or HP because of their crap quality. Dell *does* have a marvelous warranty... but its like the American Car apocrypha --> great warranty but always in the shop. HP laptops are a 'special' terror. These remarks are both anecdotal AND statistical

I'm even waffling on Alienware since Dell bought it a few years ago.

Thinkpads are excellent and durable - even after Lenovo bought them. I have two that are long obsolete but just refuse to die. Most of the businesses and corporations I've roamed used them. They're also the most Linux-friendly on average.

I've always been fond of Toshiba, most of the complaints are around battery life.

Sony...meh. All Sony products are on my blacklist for political reasons as well as the precipitous drop in quality over the last five years.

The ASUS line looks interesting but no real experience with it yet.

Most of the problems I've run into with Macs over the years were either power supply related or the user was trying to use their Mac for things it was never intended to handle (obsolescence). Oh... the network used to be an utter pain in the ass with all of the "Apple-ific" BS protocols but I imagine that has mostly faded. The pricing on Apple wireless routers is hilarious though, like a Gucci handbag.