View Single Post
Old 2012-08-05, 03:58   Link #20
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerskian View Post
For example: just watching "Moshidora" characters ... already know this is not for me: i have serious problems with female/extremely passive children/anorexic-extremely thin .... characters into fighting/sport roles.... specially since those type of shows would need an extraordinary animation level or some work on their moves.... but this is rarely the case.
I get your meaning, here. But I think I'll have to point out a misunderstanding about the show: in Moshidora the girl doesn't play baseball; she's the all-boys team's manager (taking over from her ill friend). The show impressed quite a lot of people. I think it's a fairly formulaic, decently entertaining show. Avarage. That is until the last two (or next-to-last two?) episode when it suddenly becomes outstanding.

Also: the show doesn't actually focus on playing the game so much, as it does on what makes a good team.

Quote:
Katanagatari : ... maybe i should try as well, although character's design seems quite discouraging ....
Definitely give it a try. It's the only master piece in it's year (I think). I don't know how to explain; it keeps looking like your straightforward collect-the-swords plot, but it's always somewhat off, until the odd pay-off at the ending.

I always thought the art style was an anime take on those woodcuts, but I'm not an expert on either art styles or Japanese woodcuts, so that might not be true. It's part of the concept, though. You'll get used to it, I'm pretty sure.

As for slice-of-life comedy:

The best one in recent years, IMO, was A Channel. It's utterly unexceptional, but excellently executed. Its main strength is the use of setting to enhance the mood (give the opening of episode 10 a try to see a good example). And you can tell the animators were fond of their characters. There's only one thing I don't like, and that's how the characters often look like their faces have been treated with furniture polish. (I don't like those glowing cheeks and foreheads...)

This season, there's Joshiraku. It's adapted from a manga from the same guy who did Zetsubou Sensei, and you can tell by the odd-ball humour. It's slow to be subbed, so I've been watching the raws, too (despite being absolutely bad at Japanese - I never get more than the gist of it).

I also sort of liked Kill Me Baby; high school girl tries to keep high school girl assassin busy so she doesn't kill people. It's a three-person only show (plus an unused character, but they don't really use her) - literally. The main duo, plus a comic relief ninja. No class mates, no teachers. I shouldn't have been enjoying this, but I was sad to see it end.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote