View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 03:50   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not as good as the last episode, but still great. If this level of drama is as far as the show is going to go, I'm perfectly fine with that.

No one in this show actually believes that they're magical fantasy characters. That would be dumb. They buy into the idea (to the point where they identify themselves by it) because they think they look cool that way (or as we've already seen, because it helps them deal with more troubling aspects of reality), but it's not like they're literally schizophrenic. It's something a lot of teenagers go through: take, for example, the goth subculture and claiming to be demons or vampires or what have you.
Well in Psychiatry there's a distinction between what is a Delusion and what is an Overvalued Idea. A true delusion would mean that you cannot truly shake the person's belief system, and I think that the episode shows Rikka's beliefs can be shaken when reality becomes too much for her fantasies to compensate for. In that sense it wouldn't be a true delusion anymore, and shows some underlying problem as to why she has become as such.

Of course I'm not a psychiatrist by training, and a delusion is sometimes hard to really diagnose and distinguish from overvalued beliefs and ideas.