View Single Post
Old 2010-06-23, 00:24   Link #25589
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Agreed. As a matter of course I keep detailed notes on what the characters are doing, how they're interacting with each other, how they relate to the overall plot and where they are at beginning and the end of the story. Ignore the people who tell you to "just write something!" if you want to write anything worth reading. Drafts are all well and good, but starting a fic without an outline is like going on a cross-country roadtrip without a map.
Having been "tutored" by some of the harshest (nah, they're good folks ) critiques around in Original Characters Thread, you should've learnt that an outline that makes sense to you will sometimes not make sense to another person. Some people interpret differently when presented with the same map, so to say.

One on one, there's a chance your idea might work. But if many disagree with you, then you need to work out on the kinks, and to do that, you just have to write something eventually. It is a necessary, inevitable procedure. Surviving that, of course, will make you a better writer.

That said, I have no experience with how things are handled in the Fanfiction thread, so I can't say how usual this happens. I only lurk around to read.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote