View Single Post
Old 2007-12-21, 08:18   Link #62
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbomb View Post
There is no doubt what he did was wrong. Yet again, the age. We have all been teenagers, even when your "horny", you dont take advantage of every freaking girl you see. It wasnt like Sekai wasnt putting out enough to satisfy his needs...Sekai was willing to have sex with him so often that I am not surprised she ended up pregnant and yet he wants more? That is not just a mistake, even though he "MIGHT" not have the intent of hurting Sekai but while sleeping with other girls while officially dating her, just acting the way he is, is hurting her and behind her back sleep with another girl..

You are right that breaking a girls heart doesnt result in death since I would be dead as well if that did happen but he broke at least 3 girls heart, got 1 pregnant, cause 1 to go insane and lastly, FELT NO REMORSE. Thats the thing that is bugging me the most. He shown no sign of redemption for his actions and just went on doing what he did before that only caused more pain to the girls.
I'm a big proponent of quality over quantity. I feel like doing something wrong multiple times should result in a harsher punishment of the same type. For instance, if a person robs a store, put them in jail for a month. If they rob it twice, put them in for two months. If they rob a store nineteen time, put them in for five years. The only reason to boost up a penalty is if they keep on making the same mistake, get caught, get released, and do it again. And even then, it should never change something to death. However, Makoto really never was caught. I mean, Setsuna may have caught him and told him what was going on, but it was in such a roundabout way. Sekai and Kotonoha never opened up to him about their feelings until the last episode, bottling it up inside of them instead of showing that they were heartbroken.
That being said, you gave 3 reasons. Since I believe quantity doesn't matter in the type of punishment, I'm going to check each one to see if it warrents death. For if none of them do, together they don't.
1. Broke 3 girls' hearts - We agreed that 1 girls' heart being broken doesn't constitute death, so 3 girls' hearts do not.
2. Caused a girl to go insane - Take some popular fiction, and just add in this element.
Spoiler for LOTR:
Spoiler for Harry Potter:
These two examples are theoretical examples of how continually breaking a person's heart can lead to insanity. But Kotonoha's insanity was done to herself. Makoto was a catalyst by breaking her heart continually, but the rest was her doing. He does not deserve death for that.
3. Pregnancy - Not a cause for death. As I've been stating, he should have had to take on responsibility as the father.
4. Felt no remorse - It's true that doing something wrong and feeling no remorse is a bad thing. But as a cause for death? If you try arguing this in the courts as to the reason why a certain burglar should be put to death, they'll probably close the book immediately. (Note that in court comparisons, Makoto did not kill anyone, rape anyone, or set anyone's house on fire. His misdeeds were much less than those. So, burglary/robbery is probably the best comparison.) It is one thing to feel no remorse about murdering somebody or raping somebody. But feeling no remorse for breaking a girl's heart, however despicable it is, is not a reason to be put to death.

Also, do note that out of all the characters Makoto hurt in the story, only 1 of them thought he should have been put to death, which was Sekai. And after Sekai murdered him, she was completely dumbfounded and shocked, realizing that was wrong.