View Single Post
Old 2012-02-04, 11:08   Link #45
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
These two points are probably related.

Because troops are not going to drop like flies like in the Original, Fraxis probably decided that they instead make soldiers retire after suffering too much PTSD.

As McArthur said, soldiers don't die; they just fade away. So instead of soldiers dying, you give them an honourable discharge.
That analogy is surprisingly appropriate, considering that MacArthur was *retired* because he wanted to start a nuclear war with China

Rockpaper shotguns interview part 3
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...n-xcom-part-3/

Topic: mod support
Quote:
RPS: Bah! Are you considering any form of mod support, even just indirect stuff like not locking away the textures? I don’t know if you guys have much choice in that.

Jake Solomon: Yeah, and I can’t commit to anything specific obviously because my lead engineer would tear my head off, but that’s something that we benefit from. I mean there’s two sides to that. We’re Firaxis obviously, so we obviously believe in that, we’ve done that for our Civ games extensively, and the benefit of using the Unreal engine is that’s a pretty well-defined modding system. So we’re not committing to exactly what it is we’re doing, but I’m very interested in making sure that’s something that we’re definitely looking very closely at, it’s something that we’d want to do for players.

RPS: You just know the second that’s announced the first thing that will happen is someone will declare they’re making a Terror From the Deep total conversion.

Jake Solomon: Right with time units and ammunition management, I understand, I know (laughs) and I’m ok with that. And I think in some ways that’s good too, I can say like ‘well y’know, I’m perfectly happy to let people see all the code I’ve written and do what they want to do with it, so…’

RPS: There needs to be a site somewhere just documenting time from start of game announcement x to announcement of mod y that will be the ‘complete’ mod, the ‘true’ mod with all these things fixed, all these very specific little features.

Jake Solomon: And you know what, I’ll probably play it. (laughs)
Not as much detail as I would have liked honestly...but I suppose it's something.

Also, the Xcom HQ interactive thingy

It seems there are five seperate research/construction related buildings.

Science labs/engineering:The basic manufacturing facilities. Though there is mention that the Xcom tech tree branches enough that in most playthroughs you won't be able to construct everything.

Workshop/laboratory: These buildings increase the efficiency of construction projects at engineering/science labs. The workshop will also give a random rebate on things constructed.

The Foundry: A seperate construction facility that seems dedicated to large construction projects. They mention the HWP, but it also seems likely that this is where you construct aircraft as well.

Another thing I've noticed. It seems that Firaxis is trying to streamline menu options into base facilities. The geoscape seems to be accessed through the control room, the situation room gets you into contact with the funding nations, the armory allows you to custom your troopers kit/experiance.

It looks like they're trying to up the immersion factor of you being the commander of Xcom, with the player character being sequestered inside the base and his interactions with the outside world being handled through specific command buildings.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-02-04 at 12:06.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote