View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 16:31   Link #2288
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yes, and I'm also saying their work reflects on the studio as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Even to a high degree, yes. Management gets the blame for putting the wrong people together. They are paid appropriately to make the right decisions so people get to keep their jobs and grow their business. To me, it seems like you and people who share your argument don't understand the notion that organizations need to be ... organized. An organisation sets goals so that each and every one of its members works towards it. For that to happen, there needs to be some sort of structure in place to keep the machine going. The management at the very least has a say in which direction the works should be taken, if not, they are lousy managers.

In the end, the product is out and us viewers get to decide whether we like it or not. The thing with hardcore fans such as yourself is that you don't just watch the product, you are also interested in the production schedule, so it is easy to say "well, Ishidate fucked up." But someone like me, I just see the product. I decide whether it's worth my attention or not and post about it. Yes, real people stand behind a brand, what a revelation! But this goes for everything else in life, not just your favorite anime studio. In fact, if I look at it with this in mind, I kind of feel sorry for Ishidate, not because he's taking so much crap from us and his loyal fans throwing him under the bus to protect The Brand, but because he probably didn't have complete control over the creation of this work. If he did, he probably would have been doing independent animation. But I understand what it means to be part of an organization, not sure you guys do.
Responding to both of you due to similar viewpoints. You're looking at this from an organizational standpoint similar to that of a typical business, not the part of entertainment. When these projects are determined, it's not fully up to the producers/executives to fully determine who is leading the project. They ask directors if they want to take on the responsibility of directing and series composers the same for them. The directors choose to work on the project or not, thus I place more emphasis on them. If you look at all the interviews I've mentioned, it's always stated as "the producer came up to me and asked if I wanted to do (blank)" emphasizing the entire role of the producer. Following that, the creative control of the project then goes to the director/series composer (which is what I've said repeatedly). This is true for KyoAni and all studios alike (just as Klash mentioned).

The role of ensuring that progress is made falls upon the Project Manager (and you'll see them credited for each episode they work on). They are in charge of ensuring that work is completed on time. There's the organization you are mentioning cyth. The Project Manager does not control the content; that is up to the director/series composer followed by episode director/storyboarder and then even the key animator makes some decisions upon how to present a scene.

To me, when you say "KyoAni screwed up!" there is ton of ambiguity behind said statement to the point of nothingness. Instead of blaming the company as a whole (which happens frequently amongst anime fandom), it's certain people who are of fault, just like certain people are to credit when things go well. I know it takes more effort to learn who's in charge of things, but it's worthwhile to realize who you really want to blame and who you want to credit so you can make better viewing decisions later.

The examples given of random organizations/programs don't really fit into the entertainment structure like they do elsewhere. There's a certain amount of control given to the director of a project that doesn't fit other corporate structures. They're more hands-on than project leads in gaming/software creation to counter Wing's example. This is their vision of the project. Klash gave great examples of directors that have their own quirks that would be present regardless of what studio was assigned to animate that particular project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Continuing with the digression,do studios always hire directors?From what I understand sometimes the committee hires one and assigns him/her to the studio.
Nope. Studios do not hire directors, the producers hire the director and pay them separately from the animation budget.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT