View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 11:51   Link #190
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
No surprise here. For most anime fans female characters are basically either pure, innocent, super smart, angelic virgins, who haven’t kissed anyone in their life and fall in love with the first dumbass at first sight, OR, they are witches, sluts, etc, who need to be burned alive. It’s kind of sickening how the anime otaku mind works; even more so when you consider it’s only female characters, male characters can act like total shitheads for all anyone cares and people applaud it.
Although I agree that it's totally stupid that theres double standards for female characters in otaku's minds, if a male character acts either obliviously or like a dickhead (two most common form of way that a male character will act), he will be criticized as well.

I would also like to add that there's also the irony that even if a female character is portrayed as pure, innocent, angelic virgin etc in an anime, said character is almost always going to be subject to "deflowerication" for a lack of a better word in fanart or doujinshi.

I guess it's the nature of anime being primarily an escapist form of entertainment that cause people to focus too much on the ideal rather than the reality. Kinda sucks, but what can you do...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-16 at 12:14.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote