Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 19:55   Link #699
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
By this logic, real world human history also had lengthy, largely counterproductive wars with increasingly brutal weaponry, and yet humanity hasn't been destroyed yet. Even in the Thirty Years' War which was perhaps the most brutal European war until the Napoleonic wars (or perhaps even worse than that) and went on for twice as long as the one in this show, humanity survived. Sure, millions died, it affected the economy, the population and of course politics to a great degree, but if we want to be as callous as real life often is - this is pretty normal. Also, where were the enlightened, intelligent, idealist monarchs who stepped down from their throne to carry out their (presumably intricate) plan to stop the war? Do you think it would've had a chance to work?
My point is simply that it's hardly unthinkable for humanity as a whole to be very short-sighted when it comes to war. We see it in our own history.

With this in mind, I don't see the big problem in someone like the Demon King being the first to see what's wrong with the current situation, and to begin to chart a course out of it.

If you look at many of the major social revolutions in human history, they tended to be focused around specific individuals. Gandi. Nelson Mendela. Martin Luther King Jr.

Change, when it happens, has to start somewhere. I don't see why it's so problematic for such change, in this anime, to start with the Demon King. I'll grant you that it would be nice if she encounters people who are quick on the uptake, as it were, and long had thoughts on the war similar to her's.

Quote:
But it's not, because their situation is precarious.
"Merchants" (aka businessmen and entrepreneurs) are not infrequently short-sighted. Just look at modern world history over the last 20 years or so. How many people were victimized by the tech stock bubble imploding? And then we had the massive meltdown from back in 2008. How well did our politicians prepare us for that?

I can get why you don't like the way this narrative seems to be going. But I get the impression that this part of the narrative is "take it or leave it", so you'll probably have to adjust to it if you want to enjoy the show.