View Single Post
Old 2012-04-13, 09:11   Link #18
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
1) I've always hated monthly subscription fees, mainly because of the principle that you're only getting your money's worth if you play a lot. And considering I've got anime + other games + other RL events, I simply don't have the time to make the subscription worth it.
Are you sure you meant what you said?
Because if I wanted to play for a month, I pay a month of subscription. With one time payment games, I'm paying the full price regardless of how much I play. So it can be a completely shit game and I just payed the full price.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The problem with those F2P MMO's wasn't that they went F2P, it was that they were crappy games to begin with. They went free to play because they failed to keep enough subscribers in the first place (a wondrous detail that often gets overlooked by the microtransaction detractors).

Most MMO's that weren't crap actually have reported an increase in their revenue when they went F2P. Lord of the RIngs Online for example noted that they earned triple of what they did before they went F2P.

So yeah, it's not the F2P model that ruined these games. In some cases, it actually saved the games.
Yes those games that die are usually crap to begin with. But cash-shopping with stat-boosting equipments and such only make the game even worse. While LotR Online was a good 'exception'. Having a high revenue doesn't make it a good game. A game that doesn't use micro transactions can have 10x more active players and be more favourited than a game with less players but more profit because all of those players are big spenders.

Team Fortress is one game that lost a lot of favoritism once it did become F2P. Every TF2 player on my steam friendlist complained and quit the game.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote