View Single Post
Old 2010-05-13, 15:27   Link #1069
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I wouldn't go so far as to say I hated it, Air is one of my least favourite shows of its kind. Probably because it had less fun and comedic parts than Kanon and Clannad - I've actually never much liked Key's brand of drama despite having a number of depressing bishoujo anime on my favourites list. That probably doesn't bod well for me liking the latter parts of Angel Beats, actually.
Hah, Key melodrama (Oh look someone is sad, go cry now!!11111); I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. I have my own gripes about it, though I feel it's probably worse in Air because it was a shorter, and more rushed series (wasting an episode on a recap doesn't help!) and thus hits what I call the "tragedy saturation" which weakens the overall effect. It can stretch the suspension of belief when everyone is constantly being struck by the plot-o-matic. In Kanon and Clannad, it's more spaced out, and people actually go on more with daily life instead of dying or crying or something. Clannad even has heroines that aren't dying or going crazy which helped that series a lot imo.

It's not a deal breaker for me and still effective in some cases, but I understand how it can annoy people.

The last episode of Angel Beats is probably this aspect at its worst, since it involves a character that well... I don't care about. So yea, it doesn't bode well for you, sadly. But I can hope for the best; they do seem to be trying hard to not slip back into their own cliches this time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews