View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 22:27   Link #5823
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Frankly I just consider that to be a massively ridiculous plothole in itself. The whole concept of MAD and any sort of reasoning was pretty much throw out of the window.
Nevertheless, this is the setting we have from the start of SEED. The reason why MAD doesn't really work in this case is because the EA (which consists of most of the Earth nations) are the only ones using nuclear bombs.
Quote:
Well unfortunately the EA perspective on the Orb failure is something that was never expanded upon, nor the actual factor of deterrence at all so it's all just fanwanking really. But in reality it's not hard to assume that nation is not going to waste time trying to invade a nation again when they got nothing but costs out of it the first time.
Actually, just by invading Orb, they made sure that Orb's technology/resources is either theirs or at least no one else's.
Quote:
Actually, even that's not a good enough reason. Case in point; America satisfies all those qualities but that won't stop plenty of other countries, large or small from effectively deterring them.
America does not satisfies all those qualities. When has the US ever used nuclear weapons in the first attack?
Quote:
Right..well it seems you've forgotten the original point again so allow me to refresh your memory a bit.

Your original point was that EA couldn't be deterred because "Even after Uzumi destroyed what the AF came for, the EA didn't just leave, they still went on to conquer Orb."

I pointed out that the only reason they went on to conquer Orb is not because they couldn't be deterred from anything, but because they might as well since there was no resistance.

Which is what I'm saying that Orb should be able to accomplish given that it supposedly has considerable industrial and military power and advanced technology.
And I'm saying that the EA would still be able to keep up with Orb's technological progress.

The fact of the matter is that there's no indication that Orb had closed the gap in power between it and the EA in the 2 years post SEED. So if Orb couldn't defeat the EA then, there's no indication that it suddenly could in Destiny.
Quote:
Because what matters is what Orb knows about EA before the treaty when deterrence was still an option. Orb can't freaking read minds. They didn't decide that deterrence was useless because they foresaw their doom at the hand of Destroys if they didn't...
I told you it's about EA's character. It's not about the Destroys. It's about the EA willing to attack anybody that doesn't follow along with it.

Orb knows that from first hand experience even before the Destroys were ever known.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote