View Single Post
Old 2004-04-13, 04:40   Link #108
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by box-chan
I just cant wait to see more of this, such a character study! I think I'll enjoy this "grey zone" as dreamless puts it. Since the worth of a human life can be measured it should be interesting to see what Tenma values as the series progresses.

and now I'm thinking; an opera singer and a diplomat...these people were ostensibly to be saved for the greater good correct? has tenma disrupted the natural order? Would it have been better for the hospital to get that extra money? I'm not so sure I can be behind him, but it looks like the show is trying very hard to bring the viewers' sympathies in line with his condition. Creepy stuff, this series. I want to see Tenma in the same position as the director: deciding who must live and die based on the merits of each life. I guess thats a bit twisted though.
As the obligatory stereotype of a television show, the director is quite very clearly choosing the merits of each life based on how those merits apply to and benefit himself. I'm not saying that stereotype is good, just that it is a necessary evil in this medium so as to give definitions to the choices and consequences of Dr. Tenma. It certainly is possible in reality that morally grey matter within a medical facility such as funding issues come to a simple matter of choice. But as I posted a bit earlier, any grey-matter "choice" and potential sympathy given to the director clearly get the water muddy--if not muddier now that the "cutting of research fund" issue has been brought up--when we examine Tenma.

As stereotypical as television or most the modern visual media go for the sake of definition, I just cannot see director Heinenman as anything but a money-grubbing traitor to his Hippopotimus(spelling error) Oath.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote