View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 15:39   Link #120
solomon

Now let's be clear here.

There is nothing wrong with the Ponies, but I hardly see any real "depth" or extra layers to the show. Not like the 90s WB TV toons at anyrate.

MLP:FIM is an all around well made cartoon, it's not written as if children are idiots nor comes off as a half hour toy commercial like it's ancestors. In that sense it reminds me a little of Disney's early TV output from the 80s (Ducktales, Gummi Bears and such) it's hardly high art, nor is it brimming with nuance but well done for what it is.

I guess one thing that affects some bewilderness at the show's wide appeal is that the bar was set so high with animation gleefully targeting dad as well as the tykes with in the same timeslot, that something like this seems like it's retroceeding with a lack of "overt" appealing towards adults.

Then again, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Powerpuff Girls wasn't as wink wink nudge nudge like some of the aformentioned Warner Toons yet it had a wide age appeal and it shares a lot of the same staff as MLP:FIM!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote