Thread: Licensed Katanagatari
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-27, 16:09   Link #249
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
...As my brother puts his criticism of Shinbou's work in Bakemonogatari, "What a pathetic attempt at post-modern artistry...."
I'm not into everything Shinbou does -- and when Oonuma Shin's ef memories came out, I thought it was better visual Shaft than anything Shinbou had done, partly because the odd visuals actually fit and contributed to the feeling of the story, rather than just being edgy play, like most of Shinbou's previous work had seemed to me.

But I thought that in Bakemonogatari, Shinbou hit his stride, and that the visuals complemented and energized the words and story. Of course, it may be that it was only with that show that I began to understand what he had been doing all along.

Katanagatari is just workmanlike, and the visuals are generally pretty but don't contribute much beyond that. Panning a scene to simulate motion (and save money) is fine by me, but I thought it was done in a rather crude way here.

But as I say, I enjoyed the look of the show quite a bit. The character design and backgrounds are excellent. Like a fairy-tale, indeed. Which seems a good thing, to me.

Thanks to sirn for that info about "Tou Fuyashi," lol. I guess then I prefer the work of nameless Shaft staff to Uezu Makoto's. Doesn't surprise me, since I haven't liked anything he has done before. I still have some hope for Seiken no Qwesar.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-01-27 at 16:41.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote