View Single Post
Old 2007-08-29, 16:18   Link #1387
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I have Shirogane no Soleil: Successor of Wyrd and Familiar Spirits, both from Skyfish.

Familiar Spirit takes place basically in a world a lot like Shuffle's, where the human world is joined with that of demons and gods. In FamiSpi it's the human world joined with that of the elves. After twenty years, the two races now co-exist in much the same fashion that the races in Shuffle did.

FamiSpi's site, usual NSFW warnings apply

Shinichi, the main character, wants to go to the same school as Suseri, his elven childhood friend and little sister type, except that she's aiming for a magic school that apparently specializes in familiars, mystical creatures summoned into existence from other worlds that are bound to their summoners. Humans rarely can use magic, and Shinichi can't get into the school unless he does something really fantastic, like actually succeed in summoning a familiar.

So he gets a basic summoning kit from a teacher at school, goes home and tries it out. Nothing happens at first but the summoning works! Enter Pam, a demon princess who suddenly got transported into the human world from out of the blue (naked to boot). In short, she becomes Shinichi's familiar. (Pam is a mazouku, which is different from an oni, but unfortunately the only usable English translation for both is either demon or devil. le sigh)

Pam is a pretty typical tsundere, and can do lots of combat magic. She's pretty peeved at her situation at first, and it's funny whenever the magic of the contract suddenly takes over and makes her become all subservient to Shinichi and then she realizes what she's doing and goes, "!!!" :lol:

Suseri is an elf and Shinichi's childhood friend and younger sister figure. She's pretty much your gentle, caring imouto type. Don't know much more about her yet.

Koyori is also an elf, and the class representative. It's pretty obvious I think that she has this big crush for Shinichi, who's apparently pretty popular with all the girls at school but doesn't know it.

There's also this student council type guy, who's name I forget, who's distinguishing feature being that he's HARD GAY for Shinichi (There's a CG between him and Shinichi that made me laugh and cringe at the same time when I saw it )

Shirogane no Soleil is a better game than FamiSpi, and can be described here.

Ryuuhei, the main guy, ends up contracting with Sol, the main heroine and a valkyrie, in order to fight off a berserker, this nasty monster thing, and from there the story goes on; which I admittedly haven't gone that far into.

Sol is pretty much one example of the "ultimate tsundere loli" ideal. She's not as bratty and unbearable as Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (sheeesh, nooo way. Sol is downright lukewarm compared to Louise, who seems to EXPLODE at every little thing Saito does). Ryuuhei and Sol fight often in these hilarious verbal pissfights, instead of the one-sided brat-rant of Saito and Louise.

I also hear that once she goes into her dere mode, there's no going back.

Now, I'll say this out now. Neither of these two games, so far, are anywhere near as fantastic as the likes of Prism Ark, Little Busters, and Happiness. For one, my biggest complaint about these two Skyfish games is how empty it feels. When Ryuuhei's classmates start making comments from the side, it feels awkward and the convo goes on a little too long. The environment as a whole feels empty; there's no feeling that this is a bustling public high school. The entire action feels like it's concentrated purely on say Ryuuhei and Sol, or Ryuuhei and Miyori. The games' environment just feels so...... empty.

FamiSpi also doesn't quite do character transitions too well. Like one character is saying a bunch of stuff and there's another character on the screen and she isn't doing anything for the entire time. Prism Ark, for instance, would have the screen focused entirely on that one character unless she's sitting close by another, Like Priecia and Kagura, and the view would completely change to another character when they speak out, and so on, and it just feels more natural.

That said, FamiSpi and Shirogane no Soleil are not bad games. FamiSpi's premise is what caught my interest and it delves into a sort of master-slave kind of relationship without any of the sheer abuse and negative feelings that usually come with that kind of situation. Plus, the H-scenes are awesome.

And Shirogane no Soleil has pretty high production values, plus you can't lose with a spunky and badass tsundere loli battle maiden.