View Single Post
Old 2010-04-03, 22:20   Link #25
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And of course there's the added bonus of little to no loss of revenue to ripping and fansubbing, at least before the movie hits DVD/BD...
So you're betting that no one is going to sub that thing out there we aren't talking about?

Better point - I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money that the average fansub viewer spends more money on real DVDs and Manga than the average non-fansub viewer. I certainly wouldn't have bought all those volumes of Kimi ni Todoke if I hadn't seen episodes of a show that aren't licensed in my region first. I highly doubt I would have bought the boxed sets of Haruhi if I had never seen the show first. And so on.

Given that, I wonder if they aren't likely to actually start to minimize their market if they really delay everything by six months to a year. For high profile titles like Haruhi and Evangelion you can probably get away with it. But for most other series, I suspect what little publicity there was when it released would be gone and forgotten by the time the DVD/BD becomes available.

And let me get off my soap box now before I REALLY get started