View Single Post
Old 2004-10-24, 13:25   Link #151
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Err... I'm not sure about that, since for many Macross/Robotech fans I talked to, the main memory mostly is about the love triangle between Lynn Minmay, Hikaru (Rick in Robotech) and Risa, not mecha battles... I guess maybe for some, Macross is focused about the mecha battles, but then for many others, it's focused about the character relationships... And apparently I belong to the second group of people
You can have factions of people in the Macross cult, unfortunately the cult you talk about being the majority is not likely the case. Take a look across the Macross sites and posters all around pushing Macross's publicity. What is generally the predominant feature there on their fronts? Veritechs, Zentraedi, SDF and the War. Hikaru, Minmei and Misa ( she's Lisa in Robotech ) are not the big displays but rather 'asides' i.e. secondary focuses, things you focus on once the big picture has been taken in. The general association with Macross is the Veritechs or the War.

The War and the Veritechs are the significance of Macross and as I said earlier, take them away, the story that is left is no longer Macross. This is equivalent to taking away the Gundams from any Gundam series, you cannot truly call the series a Gundam series. A Gundam series always has one of those unique ( copyrighted ) design running around somewhere ( though some people would like to call some of those 'alternate' lines a bastardy and not to be called a Gundam series ). However good or bad, a Gundam series has always revolved around those mechas' existence.

To illustrate a case when a story is focusing on relationships instead, consider Hoshi no Koe. It is a love story spanning across time and space during a war. However take away the war and put it in with the girl being forced to go to a distant galaxy by parents, circumstances or anything, you can still have their love story in some manner of effectiveness. Try putting the story of Macross without the Veritechs & SDF into another situation... well, what do you have? Not the same effectiveness anymore. Take away the love story of Macross or reduce it with less showing, you still get the Macross universe though you lose catching the audience that favours human relationships and development. Taking away the love story makes Macross much less but does not kill the universe, taking away the veritechs and the war however kills the concept of it being Macross in the first place.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote