View Single Post
Old 2011-05-31, 23:38   Link #28
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Much to people's surprise here I bet, I didn't hate the episode. I was in fact going to even give it as high as an 8, maybe even 9 until Kyousuke broke down in tears. Yes, my problems with the episode had nothing to do with Kirino. In fact, my problems this episode are sorely directed at Kyousuke.

First and foremost, I understand the man has been trying to kid himself this whole time that he doesn't miss his sister and yada yada. However, where did all this pent up frustration come from? Maybe this is due to some serious pacing issues, but I never really got the impression that he was THAT lonely. He was having some genuinely good moments hanging out with Kuroneko in the last few episodes and was using her in a sense as a replacement for all the time he squandered pandering to his often very ungrateful sister.

I don't know. As someone who has a sibling, I didn't become that emotional or lonely just because of the eventual separation due to things like college. Unless this anime is going for some sort of incestual relationship (Which I still have to deny at all costs for my sanity, but really I don't get the impression that the story is going end up there). That's why I find it hard to believe that Kyousuke would actually break down in tears for someone whom really, just doesn't treat him that well. Not to mention she left in the first place without even saying a word.

Really, I just don't understand. Unless I interpret this relationship romantically, it comes off as overly melodramatic how they portrayed the scene. Again, I had no problems with Kirino herself. She was actually likable in this episode. I know sounds weird huh? Honestly, if this is how they portrayed her more often than not, I wouldn't have come so revolted with her in the previous episodes. Super bitch wasn't present here.

Kyousuke further criminalize himself this episode with the Kuronkeo scene. He didn't give her a fucknig answer? Are you frickne kidding me?!!!?

To paraphrase Senjogahara from Bakemonogatari, "I hate unclear relationships." It provides bad drama. It's annoying. It's the sort of plot I hate. They better not dance around this issue too long. Kyousuke lost some serious points with me here.

Other than that though, the episode was fairly solid. There were some genuine good moments. The narrative structure of these last episodes was consistent and led to an actual conclusion. Not bad.