View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 07:03   Link #874
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final episode was as disappointing as the previous two. A shame. The series had been almost flawless until episode 10, then I'm not exactly sure what happened but the quality of the storytelling decreased quite a bit. I guess adapting so many volumes in only 12 episodes was an impossible mission, even for Watanabe. I enjoyed these episodes nevertheless, but I wish they had been on the same level as the others.

Regarding episode 12, I was pretty peeved by Kaoru's attitude in the first half. It was as if he hadn't grown one bit over the course of the series. I understand Sen's departure dejected him, but that's no excuse to treat Ritsuko this way. That was a very childish reaction. I thought he was more mature by now. At least he was man enough to apologize to her before he left for Tokyo.

The timeskip was quite abrupt, and I didn't like the way Kaoru and Sentarou were reunited: through sheer coincidence. If Kaoru had never bumped into Yurika, he may have never seen Sen again. I would have liked it better if Kaoru had at least attempted to find him.

The jam session at the Church was great and almost made up for everything else. It felt like those two had never been separated. Having Ritsuko come the exact same day was forced, but whatever.

Overall, this was a great series that would have probably been tremendously better if it had gotten two cour. As it is, it feels a little incomplete. Some issues like Kaoru's problems with his family were raised but never touched upon. I would have wanted Sen to get more resolution too. Having him become a priest that cut all ties with his family presumably forever was weird. After he found his purpose in life, he could have gone back and straighten things out with his family.

You know, initially, I thought this would be a music oriented series, and I was surprised to find out while watching it that it wasn't the case at all. It was a character driven show, jazz acted only as a bridge between the two main characters. And the focus was definitely on friendship imo. The romance was just a side dish.