View Single Post
Old 2008-08-07, 05:43   Link #1295
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirali1985 View Post
I'm not quite certain what impression I gave from my earlier post. It's not so much that people are browbeaten or bullied into not questioning Islam (at least that I've seen). It is simply that the thought doesn't occur. Before anyone thinks that's brainwashing.......how many among us would question democracy? Or the virtues of monogamy? Certain values are ingrained into most(if not all) of us from a young age, and religion can be as well, especially in deeply religious countries/cultures. Without any major negative repurcussions either, in my opinion.
Thats is what i meant, that it simply isnt questioned.. Though really speaking thats personal opinion, whether people are actually forced into it or not is not something i know.. its not the impression i get from whatever interactions i have had, but, like the post above, i may be wrong.

pardon me, its my fault if i gave the impression that thats what i thought was fanatisicm. what i said about fanaticism should actually be considered seperate. Its a fact by coincidence, that a large number religious fanatics, ( im referring specifically to radical fundametalism.. not all 'fanatics' per se) are from economically and socially under-priviliged groups. While religion is the mask for some actions, the state of peoples lives probably provides more motivation.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote