View Single Post
Old 2012-03-24, 11:15   Link #68
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I think they lack depth and development because he's simply created way too many characters. So on the bright side, you're bound to find at least a few characters you'll like among all the different personalities the series has to offer. But unless that personal favorite happens to be pivotal to the plot, then chances are they're not getting much development. Perhaps minor protagonists will get snippets of development here and there, but that's likely to be all. In the case of Sasakibe, it's pretty easy to see why he'd be among the first to go when Kubo decided he'd finally start killing off good guys.

After all these years, he either couldn't think of a compelling purpose for him or didn't have the time to. With that said, many of us know that Kubo's not the type of writer to plan his plot out in great detail long in advance. He makes much of it up as he goes along. So its somewhat easy to assume why he'd be hesitant to kill characters off in the first place. (because he wouldn't want to accidentally screw himself out of using a potential character for a specific purpose later on). I guess in the case of Sasakibe, if Kubo couldn't come up with anything for this guy to do by now, its safe for him to assume he can kill him off without jeopardizing future plans for his plot since he's only got this final arc to work with now.
it has nothing to do with the amount of characters. oda has more characters in one piece but he utilizes them pretty well. granted that he has his core characters that he steadily develops, he also takes care of his minor ones. he even has mini stories that give you updates about the characters that have no part in the current storyline. kubo simply doesn't know how to develop his characters. even ichigo lacks depth and he's the main character.