Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-13, 18:59   Link #34
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
Well... ^^;;
I'm a girl, and I'd like to visit Japan one day. My friend is going to live there, and we're going to visit him one day or another ... So I need to prepare myself. I really don't have an idealized idea of how Japan is.. On the contrary.. <_<;;; I'm a bit afraid of going because of what a lot of people told me.

I really don't know what type of image foreign women have in Japan. ^^;; Well, I'm Canadian, I look a lot younger than my age.. And I have blue eyes.. I don't have big lips or blonde hair or big boobs like Japanese people might expect of Caucasians.. x_x A lot of people think I'm from Europe for some reason too. Which is another thing I'm wondering about ... I went to a lot of websites about Japan, and a lot of Japanese people seem to think that Americans are fat and have a bad temper or something ... X_X [ there was a thread about Americans in the forums.. ] I don't know if it's a rumor though ..

Everyone tells me that Japanese people dislike foreign people.. Which is why I'm kind of scared. I don't really believe that, but it's true that Americans have a.. weird image in anime. ^^;; A lot of guys I've heard about who went to Japan.. Instantly found a girlfriend. So I thought they were sort of popular.. But a lot of them were treated differently because they were American.. And a lot of them seemed to say that they kind of made fun of Americans in Japan. @_@ Is that true?

Another problem is about my interest in anime and video games. I always hear how "otakus" have a really bad image in Japan, specially .. American ones. I always hear how Japanese people think it's weird for a Caucasian person to like some things about Japanese culture.. ^_^;; Also, I dress in a way that's very inspired by Japanese street fashion. I'm not a Japanese wannabe.. I don't really like Japanese food or Japanese music anyway. But I'm afraid I'll be labeled as one and that people will just think I'm a freak and everything..

What do you guys think?
[ for some reason my post was before some other less recent posts so I'll just quote myself here ]

I don't really think anime presents an idealized image of Japan.. Of course.. x_o Magical girl anime and unrealistic series aren't reality ^_^;; But they're anime, that's normal.. I just think that.. A lot of things in Japanese culture influence manga/anime.. Like Sothis mentioned.. In Japan, a girl over 25 who isnt married yet is considered an old maid.. A lot of manga series talk about this from time to time.. Sometimes it's very subtle, but you can still see it.. Also you can see how strict schools are in Japan.. and other things like that..
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote