View Single Post
Old 2010-10-30, 20:36   Link #78
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromono View Post
I never changed my opinion or took back any words on that. Erotic fantasies are never good, and neither are they evil. That's what I said, isn't it?
No, it's *not*. You only said the first part, that they're "never good", you adeed the second (striked out) part later, after me pointing out that this makes you sound preachy.

Quote:
Do you honestly not know why I brought up farts ? Because they, like erotic fantasies, are natural and something we're all too familiar with, yet it's still embarrassing to admit you have them and they're thought to be inapproriate in most situations.
Figures. Someone who says that erotic fantasies are never good, would also say that they're just as ugly and unpleasant as farts. No surprise there
I guess you were brought up in the belief that erotic fantasies are ugly and unpleasant... my heartfelt condolences.
If there's any relation whatsoever between erotic fantasies and farts, then it's only that of opposites: while erotic fantasies are healthy and pleasant, farts are ugly and unpleasant.

Quote:
You're just grasping at straws here.
You shouldn't be talking with yourself so openly, people might look at you strangely

Quote:
You think it was prejudice-based, intentionally derogatory...
That's exactly what it was, regardless if I think like that or not.

Quote:
but such critics are all too common nowadays. And yet they still call it 'criticism', do they not? There's such a thing as unfair/unfounded criticism.
Most semantic arguments I've seen fail to offer anything cogent at all, and this seems to be one of them.
Just because there are some self-proclamed "critics" today who don't have the tiniest clues about criticism and are in all reality nothing but dimwitted mudslingers, doesn't suddenly turn the prejudiced, derogatory comment of the father into criticism - not at all. To quote a certain someone, "You're just grasping at straws here."

Quote:
So, in a nutshell, he didn't call them worthless or say anything about them. Let's move on.
Ah, finally you understood. That's what I've been saying all the time, he refused to recognise them as otaku and thus never called them worthless (whereas he didn't have any problems calloing Kyousuke worthless, after he recognised him as otaku).

Quote:
You keep assuming he was condemning all anime and made no effort to understand there's actually the distinction between that game and, say, various kinds of 'socially acceptable' anime.
That's nothing I'm assuming, that's how it is. The father simply can't be bothered to make a distinction between the various kinds of a hobby he regards as "worthless", because he avoids it as much as he can. You simply don't spend any time on anything you regard as worthless, and thus you don't know anything about it. Thus, for the father, anything that is somehow drawn or animated is all the same for him, all worthless stuff for otaku.

Quote:
Perfect psychological analysis there. I'm pretty sure the father couldn't have just... you know, knocked the son out.
And that's what happens in real life if you try it on a very old-fashioned father in Asia. They are going to be shocked alright, if it's the first time you've ever done that. Then they are going to beat you (by instinct), ground you... but one thing is for sure: they're not going to agree to your request after that (unless you genuflect and make a solemn vow or something).
The father didn't agree to his request, so that's alright already. After Kyousuke's confession that he is the otaku, and that Kirino was only covering up for him, the father's image of "daddy's little girl" was restored, and he was only angry at Kyousuke anymore - and that anger then led him to beat Kyousuke. However, rather than continuing to beat him up, he decided that Kyousuke is too worthless to bother anymore with him, that he isn't worth any effort anymore and best ignored now.
If the father had continued to beat up Kyousuke, that would've meant that he still cared about him at least a bit and hoped that by beating him, he could get him back to normal.
His father however has already written him off as a lost cause which can't be helped anymore, not even if you beat him up or do anything else with him.

Quote:
Again, that's not what I'm trying to say, understand my words, word for word. Kyousuke asked his father what was bad about Kirino having something she could get so absorbed in. Kyousuke was ignoring the main point, that the games themselves are bad.
Suuure, the game is so totally exceedingly bad... there's lots of blood and gore in it, dismemberment everywhere, cruel torture... but oh wait, there isn't! If there was, the game would be ok, because violence is fine.
What makes the game so terribly bad is that there's nudity in it! Oh noes! And sexual themes! Everyone will turn into raging beasts if they see that!

Quote:
There is no connection. As I stated clearly, they have nothing to do with each other, Kirino's grades and the inherent nature of those games. I said it in the original post, and I repeat it now.

There is no connection. They are unrelated. Kirino's grades could be bad, or good. The games could be harmless, or worthless, or stupid, or whatever. Kirino's grades don't yet prove anything about those games. Playing those games doesn't immediately imply Kirino's grades would somehow be affected.
Fine. Good that we finally established that there's no connection between her anime hobby and grades.

Quote:
"Perhaps this argument is valid, you never know." <--- Not once did I say this. I asked a question. That if your results are good, does it mean your method was ? Obviously you can not draw any definite conclusion at all. ...
"Oops, I did it again." <-- That should be you, because you're doing again and haven't learned one bit. Right after we finally *did* draw a final conclusion, namely that there is *no connection*, which you even repeated two times, you suddenly go into the opposite direction again and claim that there's no definite conclusion and all that.
What was that again with the "attention span of a goldfish"? Might be fitting there

Quote:
You are the only person left in the room who thinks...
I'm indeed getting the impression that I'm the only one who thinks in this debate
Besides, declaring yourself as "the room" and everyone else who has a different opinion as "the last person left" is very egomanic - which is why I'm passing up on a further reply. This is going nowhere anyway

Quote:
If you honestly knew what those links contained, you would have simply told me what R18 means for Kirino.
Why don't you read what's written there yourself? Can't be bothered? Wouldn't it be better to inform yourself about it, before you start talking about it?
In case you can't read Japanese, which wouldn't surprise me... you do know how to use a search engine and look up the Japanese rating of eroge?