View Single Post
Old 2010-01-05, 22:34   Link #1383
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
You need to stop assuming so many things.
Yes, we see Accelerator in a setting that looks nothing like Academy City.
I would rather attribute that to the author's error than anything else.

If Accelerator or Mikoto were born with their powers, we would've been told so long ago.
Its entirely probable that Accelerator developed his powers on his own at first. I mean, magic was invented by people who were envious of espers and their powers, right?

Magic has been around before Academy City's establishment, meaning there must have been enough powerful espers to make people envious.
----
Another thing:

If magic was invented by people who were envious of esper powers, then it should be assumed that they were unable to develop them. However, as Tsuchimikado's example testifies to, magicians can develop esper powers. The only logical explanation I can think of is that Academy Cities' curriculum is something that helps bypass the previous rules regarding esper powers.
----
One more thing:
I seriously believe that esper powers are still not understood at all. I mean, the inconsistencies between all of the powers is just ridiculous. I can understand some powers being mostly understood (electricity, teleportation), but the retarded abilities like "body regeneration", "vampire bait", and "completely ordinary hand" seriously have got to have more to it than just that.

Just an example: "body regeneration" really means having control over your own metabolism. The term "body regeneration" seems so... fake. I know this is a fantasy story, but the scientific approach the story seems to take on abilities such as Railgun/Accelerator contrasts so sharply with the other abilities.

Hopefully the author is actually thinking this much. The LN has sold like 18 volumes so far and its still going strong. However, after looking at the path Bleach has gone down, it's very likely that the author is just making things up as he/she goes.