View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 03:21   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Just saw this today and all I can say is; Holy shit it was good.

I saw the stage production years ago and maybe it was just the difference that time gives you for perspective but yeah, wow. I've never seen a proper standing ovation in a cinema before and I doubt there was a dry eye in the house at the end which was as beautiful as it was sad - I'll admit to getting something caught in my eye for about half an hour afterwards, while explaining the movie to my mother (who didn't go). If this doesn't walk away with a truckload of Oscars and whatnot I will be utterly surprised and thoroughly disappointed.

Be warned its entirely a musical with maybe half a dozen lines total not done in song - which follows the same haunting structure throughout the entire film. That's baring the offbeat 'Master of the House' song which was hilarious along with that whole scene. I really enjoyed all the songs. It was only the ones sung in large groups that I had trouble deciphering, but that could be the cinema speakers but I've always had trouble with lyrics in songs that aren't solos.

Also I couldn't not see Madame Thénardier as Belatrix Lestrange though... its the hair. I really felt for Éponine as well, girl had rotten luck. Young Cosette was just huggable innocence surrounded by filth, older Cosette although while still innocent seemed a wee bit entitled. Javert always fanatical of the law, I thought the songs were he sung on the edge of buildings was brilliant as a metaphor. Fantine was... sad, Anne Hathaway really did well at it. And Jackman nailed Jean Valjean to a post, the singing and the emotion inducement. The set pieces were great they really captured the squalor that people had to live with back then, and the differences between the classes in society. The character design and presentation was highly detailed to, the grime, sores and everything.

I HIGHLY recommend people go see it, 'younger' folks may not quite get it, but those with a liking for classics will definitely be utterly pleased with this.

ps. Bring a lot of tissues, you'll need them if you have even the slightest slither of a soul and know what is going on and the context of it all, and so will the people next to you..

***** <- five stars.

Now I have to see how the Hobbit compares tomorrow... sadly I think this will trump it for impact and emotion.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2012-12-29 at 03:52.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote