View Single Post
Old 2010-08-09, 09:29   Link #2064
Captain_Monotanous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
It can't be, FMA was first written in 2001, so unless Hiromu Arakawa has a time machine then Fullmetal Alchemist has nothing to do with the middle east other than similar skin color. Generally speaking Scar's story generally has more to do with Christianity due to how forgiveness and atonement are emphasized just like in Christianity.

Arakawa has also stated that the idea from Ishval came from the Ainu. Also the human experimentation of Ishvalans by the goverment is based off of the Japanese preforming human experimentations on the Chinese.
Ahhh Very good point. I suppose thats just what I took away from it then.
Again, its a sign of a good story when you your auidence finds relevence in your work other then to what you had previously invisioned
Though, the story was not fully fleshed out in 2001, certainly no reason why she couldnt have taken some inspiration at a later date.

Though I would also argue there are more similarities than skin colour. It was to do with where it was geographicaly located on the map as well the the fact it was a desert. And the religious culture. And Scar being constantly called a terrorist. And the utter destruction suffered by the innocent civillians of Ishbal. That all kind of came together, and thats what gave me the impression.

You also reminded me of the christian themes, I'd forgotten to mention that. It did seem to have a strong christian moral to the story, in which, bonus points to Arakawa, she told through a main character that was an Atheist (and obviously didnt demonize lil Edward ).
I'm not the religious sort myself, but I liked FMA because it was sutble with the religious message, "under the hood" as it were...
The only time I found it grated on me was when Mustang didnt finish off Envy or "he would turn to the dark side"

Thanks for the head up on the Arakawa quote there Knight, I'll keep in mind next time I'm running through the series
Captain_Monotanous is offline   Reply With Quote