View Single Post
Old 2011-03-13, 12:16   Link #1016
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Hi Bluemail, there are currently 2 (maybe 3) obstacles:

1) I'm still looking for a way to get the translation tools to understand on the Memorial Edition's (ME's) game interpreter (the program that reads the data files and displays the story). Till then, no English patch can work on the ME. You're right about the similarity though; most of the Japanese data files are identical between FV and ME, and replacing/transferring a few files converts one version to another (if you ignore the FV's digital manual and player review form)

2) The translation quality is still poor, which spoilt the game experience for me. You said "I'd not like the feeling suffer from my language skills", so this issue will probably affect you too. My current (very rough) estimate for the time required to polish everything is 9 months.

3) The Memorial Edition introduced a "Japan only" lock that stops non-Japanese versions of WinXP from running the game. Changing your locale doesn't help. However, due to a programming bug, the lock fails on Vista/Win7. This MIGHT affect Rewrite too -- ask around before you buy if you have WinXP.

====================
I have only played+watched Kanon and Clannad myself, but I can vouch for Key's skills in weaving stories. I'm sure you'll have a great read no matter which product you choose!

I'm inclined to play a VN before watching its anime too. For Kanon and Clannad, the animes are loyal in merging all routes into one coherent story, which I felt improved the presentation of each story... and after going through the "true end" with the on-screen characters, playing through the alternate routes again felt odd to me.
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote