View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 23:56   Link #444
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd like to ask about those paper tags that appear in anime with a mystic (Shinto?) side. These are small rectangular pieces of paper, perhaps 10x20 cm, with writing or symbols on them. They're used in Mononoke as a means of building magical walls to protect against demons. In Dennou Coil, set nearly two hundred years later, they're used to infuse people with cyber ("Dennou") powers. I think I've seen them in other shows as well, but they're quite prevalent in both Mononoke and Dennou Coil.

I'm guessing the Mononoke presentation has some historical basis, that such items were used by priests, shaman, whatever, as a weapon against demons?
Those charms are called Ofuda. They are shinto in origin and obviously inspired the cyber talismans in Dennou Coil. They contain spiritual power that is dangerous to supernatural entities in the hands of a properly trained individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I also have a similar question about Japanese mysticism (not sure if it is Shinto or not since it is apparently known in Korea as well). Japanese ghosts are depicted as just normal people with these thin white headbands that has an equilateral white triangle sticking out on top in the front. What is that?
That's not quite right. Japanese ghosts are not quite normal people -- they have no feet. (Their legs just sort of trail off and become misty.) I don't know what that unusual headgear is called, but yeah, ghosts are usually portrayed wearing it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote