View Single Post
Old 2008-07-03, 03:39   Link #482
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
You are a real work of art my friend. I'm not surprised by your posts though, considering earlier ones I've read from you. I'll just be simple, as it's late, and most everyone else has already posted my thoughts in their own way.

Ranka pops up and saves the day, and all she can think about is Alto.
Yeah, to her, he's the most important hostage. Do you fault her for that? What would you have her do? See that Alto was fine, and then dash out to see everyone? She's not that strong. In the shelter, she couldn't let go of Alto's shirt. And there, her legs gave out. Alto can get out of a firefight and act like it was nothing. She can't. So?

Quote:
Sheryl, and the other hostages could have been dead for all she knew. She never is shown to give one THOUGHT about anybody else, but Alto. This is not the first time in the series, she has shown this type of thinking(episode 7 when she finds out Alto and her brother are fighting in space anyone?). Also, her gifts, are gifts that she herself would want from someone. She hasn't considered what the receiver of the gifts would think, or she just assumes that whatever she likes, they would like. Not a true gift...
What are you talking about? She even put in extra effort to make plane shaped cookies for him. Sure, it shows little imagination and knowledge of Alto, but she did her best. Sorry it doesn't come up to your standards. Not everyone can offer a guy a leisure trip of several light years.

And, yes, maybe Alto would have hated her music. I mean, so far, he's been mostly supportive of her singing, but hey. But don't you think he'd have been more hurt if she'd offerend tickets to everyone but him?

Quote:
Sheryl on the other hand, came up with a gift idea, that she KNEW without a doubt that Also would like.
Yeah, Sheryl has opportunities Ranka doesn't. That's not really Ranka's fault. Well, maybe she should have been born a genius and a driven woman, and gotten to superstardom years prior. Yes, clearly, Ranka's an abominable little person.

Quote:
She knows him far better than Ranka does right now.
Among those opportunities is the opportunity to know Alto better. Part of that is, indeed, Ranka's fault. She's shy, while Sheryl isn't. You might even say Sheryl's pushy. The rest of that is, well, a matter of schedule. And influence. Ranka's time is not exactly her own, while Sheryl has much more control on her own agenda. And the ability to request Alto from SMS for whatever publicity stunt or whatever. (I understand why he'd shoot the ad with her. He's pretty and has acting experience. But what was he doing with her on the island? Personal manservent?)

I'm not saying Ranka's blameless, or trying to make light of Sheryl's qualities. Ranka is, as I said, shy. She lacks self-confidence. She's also much more likely to talk than to listen. Especially if the guy is, well, taciturn. Partly out of a belief that everyone in the world but her has his life together. She'd listen if he'd talk, but she wouldn't pry.

And Sheryl is, well, the Sheryl Nome. Driven, self-confident, and so on. She's also much more mature than either Ranka or Alto, and more perceptive. So, yes, it's no wonder she knows Alto better. But that doesn't make Ranka a bad person.

Quote:
She's also delirious from her illness, and not thinking completely straight in episode 12(have you ever had an extreme fever? You don't think clearly when your brain is cooking). She gets some sympathy in how she acted, because she's extremely sick. Ranka is not sick, and hasn't been shown to be sick so far in the series.
No, but she's been shown to be afraid. she's a timid girl, especially compared to Sheryl. And despite that fear, she went there and performed.

Quote:
I really hope Ranka grows up. Right now she's in the Minmei(series version) room, and that's not an area I had hoped she'd be in when I started watching this series(I've already explained my hatred for the series Minmei over the past 20+ years in earlier threads).

She could have shown more concern for Sheryl? How about just SOME concern for Sheryl. She showed absolutely NO concern for her. None. Zero. Zilch.
When? In the few seconds we saw her with Alto? Of course he was going going to monopolize her thoughts. Well, him and her pounding heart and jelly legs. It's not like it'd have even been polite to brush aside his concerns for her with questions about everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post

'I hope everyone's alright'
would suffice, too

This is getting ridiculous
That would have failed to convey how special to her Alto had become. Look, obviously, you don't agree with how they've presented things. But I don't get the feeling Ranka's the sort of person who doesn't care about anyone but herself and Alto.