View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 20:54   Link #83
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
@tinyredleaf, the thing is the whole advent of highspeed broadband has changed the market share of many things, I mean just a 5 year difference and the internet has seen an explosion of traffic and content, of course its gonna take time to figure out how to effectively monetize the internet, and monetize it in away that doesn't restrict exchange of information freely. For all these industries, its gonna be trial and error for atleast the next 20 years, but the best places to look will be Japan and Korea, because their connection speeds are the highest compared to the rest of the world. I mean U.S. lines don't even come close, considering Fios is only offered in a select few cities, and current 5/1 lines don't even come close to generating that output unless your sitting on the damn amplifier. It's going to be bumpy but as you can see Steam has created a system where they are high profitable while also leading the way with digital distribution.
Producing top-quality media content is an intensely labour-intensive endeavour. And labour is expensive, especially for the top-quality talent we apparently desire for top-quality anime.

Sure, distribution is cheap in comparison, and it'd be even cheaper still with the introduction of high-speed optical-fibre broadband. But that's precisely the kind of economics that spells doom for the mass-media industry. It commoditises media content. Consumers refuse to pay the price needed for top-quality content.

Despite all its promise of lucre, I'm yet to see an online business model make sustainable revenue without some form of brick-and-mortar support.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote