View Single Post
Old 2009-04-19, 20:05   Link #71
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Please, don't present these as solid evidence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun manga chapter 07 page 09:

Admit it, this is a mistake by the artist (Fuyukawa Motoi). Even though the Railgun manga is not technically canon, it is accepted as such because it ties in to the story nicely. However, when there are contradictions between canon and fanon, it is obvious which one you should rely on. (Another more sketchy event I see here is the blocking of shrapnel from Mr. Spoon's teddy bomb -- obviously IB is broken in the Railgun Manga.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
To Aru Majutsu no Index manga chapter 02 page 15:

To Aru Majutsu no Index anime episode 01, 11:20 mark:

So it's final. All three sub-sources and the original novel have confirmed that Touma can block a Railgun blast from Mikoto.
And this is what you call Flavor Lore. Just because a character claims he can do _______ does not mean he can actually do it. Likewise, any explanations given by in-universe characters are not to be taken as fact unless proven otherwise by events in the said universe (like how Stiyl and Kaori claimed that Index couldn't hold more than a year's worth of memories).

What description of IB were we given? A very simple one: the ability to negate all magic and ESP. About its ability to negate the divine? Only an assumption made by Touma thanks to Index's comment, and since it seems to be so (negating his luck), then it has to be real (more flavor lore for you).

And yes, my ESP not Magic argument holds because for all instances that he has used or tried to use his IB, the initial description holds and could be easily explained using the natural laws when used against ESP, while things get a little messy when dealing with Magic. Now, give me one excerpt from the novel which specifically depicts him blocking a physical ranged attack made possible with the use of ESP and I'll gladly step down.

Now, there is only one explanation on how he can block the rail gun projectile: it was a mistake, simple as that.

There is zero evidence that he can't? Well now, all I see are claims that he can. Not much evidence there too. Hence we rely on logic.