Thread: Diablo III
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 22:03   Link #2076
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Ran your entire checklist. Always did everything (hell I'll even add "no mods installed" to the list). Still got hacked on my WoW account a couple of years back. Nothing a quick password swap couldn't fix, but they still got in.

What 'mistakes' did I make?
I don't know. Let someone else use your computer? Got hit by malware on a trusted site that's usually safe? Used public Wi-Fi?

Are you saying that Blizzard's server was compromised at this time? Any news articles at the time of your compromise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler:
Well this is a good point. They do have extra counter-measures though, the free authenticators. Of course not everyone has an iPhone/Android phone. Like you said though they can't force people to protect themselves. Even if they did have SMS authentication people would still get hacked. They also do have the damage mitigation - account restores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Spoiler:
Seems like it went over your head.

Unless Blizzard's servers were compromised then the analogy holds true. They have protected their side until proved otherwise. They have no responsibility to protect your account from your mistakes. You're expecting something extra that isn't necessary just because you *think* it's so simple and easy for them to implement. Just like you shouldn't be entitled to have LoJack on everything expensive just because it can prevent and stop theft. There's a point where a company has to say no. And electronics can be much more expensive than a virtual account and they aren't something that magically reappear after they're stolen. Life is unfair. Or better yet, life isn't always what you want it to be.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote