View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 17:29   Link #18
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
remember the Psychopath vs Sociopath discussion months ago?

See this is an exact example why the Psychopass system only works against Psychopaths but are ineffective against Sociopaths
I'm pretty sure quite a few of the latent criminals we've been dealing with have been Sociopaths. Rikako was able to perfectly blend in at her school, and Senguji while perhaps rather creepy, was a prominient public official who nobody suspected of being a loony psychopath. All their main issues was an inability to feel empathy for their victims. The fact that they were able to carry out planned killings like this argues against them being psychopaths. Makishima is definitely a sociopath in terms of his behavior...the only thing that off about him is probably that he doesn't biomechanically or neurologically fit the patter for what the Dominator recognizes as a Sociopath.

To me, that suggests somebody with an INCREDIBLE(Almost unnatural) amount of mental discipline and self control. Who can compartmentalize his thoughts with a clarity of mind that the system doesn't recognize him as a latent criminal.

*Besides, it wouldn't make sense for the system to not be able to recognize straight sociopaths. Maximum security prisons have plenty of interred serial killers to be studied to determine the neurological definition of a serial killer...Makishima is likely something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was definitely a breathtaking episode.

Akane and Makishima's confrontation was incredibly tense and chilling. Now nobody will be able to argue that the Sibyl system is flawless. When an obvious murderous sociopath like Makishima is seen as an upstanding citizen by the system, you know something is seriously wrong. How many other people like him are there around, and how many people have been misjudged by the system over the years? The revelation that the Sibyl system is not 100% reliable should lead to a major upheaval... if that information is made public, that is. I have a feeling the upper brass will prevent Akane from revealing it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already aware of this and purposely withheld that information from the public, perhaps because by the time they found out about that flaw it was already too late to back out.
I don't think anybody ever argued the Sibyl system was perfect. We've been seeing plenty of flaws in it. Mostly in it's inability to handle outlier situations. In that sense, having an extremely aneurotypical criminal register like this on scans isn't really too surprising.

Though I think you overestimate the kinda reaction to this kind of thing. Even if most people heard about this case, they'd likely just explain it by saying the dominator was probably malfunctioning. Or the system had a hiccup. Considering that the majority of the population isn't actively worried about being incorrectly read by a dominator, this kind of situation might cause a bit of a stir if it came to light, but I don't think it'd cause the kind of existential angst over their trust in the system like you're saying.

edit: Another thing to consider. If Makishima uses his Haxor hacking abilities to delete the Dominators recording of his face...then Akane's superiors will have a much easier explanation for why she wasn't able to judge Makishima. OBVIOUSLY he must have hacked the gun to keep it from working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Makishima is becoming more and more fascinating. I think he made a good point: inspectors and enforcers are little more than puppets of Sibyl. They act like robots, always following Sibyl's judgment, never questioning it. They never truly pulled the trigger out of their own will, they were simply following instructions (they don't even have the option to override the dominator's settings, they can't shoot if the system doesn't allow them too). They never felt the weight of the lives they took, they see the criminals as nothing more than trash because Sibyl tells them so. Akane is a bad example however, since she is a complete rookie and she actually still tries to think for herself. No doubt this experience will shake her belief in the system even further.
The individual observation that Makishima made isn't a bad one, but the ultimate point he's trying to work up to...is ultimately bunk because he's a pretentious mass murderer.

Yes, the Enforcers are in many ways just a component in an automated execution system, but that's not exactly an endorsement of his philosophy of "If people feel like hacking each-other to bits for shits and giggles, feel free to do so!".

Makishima is less of a revolutionary, and more of a pseudo intellectual serial killer.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-12-20 at 17:47.