Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 22:19   Link #25690
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Now we don't do nothing to address famine and starvation around the world. We do give out substantial amounts of food aid. But people can't (and shouldn't!) live off charity forever. These people are perfectly capable of looking after themselves, most do want to improve their lives, but due to the circumstances they live (war, dictatorship etc.) they can't.
That's why I think the focus of the actions from wealthy countries should not be about sending amounts of food, but rather sending something more substantial to get rid of those circumstances. If we want to teach the beggar how to catch fish instead of giving the fish, the circumstances surrounding hunger must be changed. That's one of the reasons why I wished the UN took a more aggressive approach in Somalia in 1993 in order to kick in the ass all groups creating hunger in the country.

Haiti is an absolute joke indeed. I think Canada should just cut loose all the support and tell them straight in the face to not come back until something significant is made on their behalf.